Monday, July 19, 2010

Weekend Recovery: Thoughts on life, movies, shows, and people

So I'm Back to work again.... 

It has been a wonderful three day weekend having had Friday off. Currently I have been sitting at my desk for about 4 hours with little or nothing to do. I've done some catching up on reading This I Believe which happens to be the summer reading book for Tufts. Apparently according to the letter I received from Tufts its a gift from the TISCH College of Citizenship & Public Service. If people aren't familiar with Tufts University (where I am heading in the fall, actually scratch that in less then a month I'll expand upon my thoughts about that a little later) the TISCH College is a very active part of the student body where leadership and service to the community abroad is heavily emphasized. The majority of students participate one way or another through the TISCH school to give back to the community or to help spread citizenship and a cohesive community.  This book This I Believe is based on a NPR series that asks individuals famous and non-famous to write a short 500 word essay on what they believe, they're core values, and who they are. After reading through a host of essays this morning a few stood out. Albert Einstein's belief in science as a way to understanding the Universe. A story from Isabel Allende speaking about the grief of her losing her daughter. All these stories brought to light the deepest core values of each individual. It was like looking through a window into someones soul. The essays are moving and thought provoking. 

So a quick recap of my weekend involved lots of sleeping, more yoga, LOTS OF SUSHI , good food, and good times with friends. Let's see if I can find some picture for ya. (I've decided to just post a bunch of pictures from summer)

Cool Finds
Griffith Observatory
Edamame so good
Beautiful Sunsets
Dodger
Adorable Grandmas You Wanna Hug
That Cute Girl Next to Ya
And Her Friends

I find that pictures speak more than words. It's universally true, if you think about it a picture is a combination of senses of light, color, emotions, memories put together to recreate or at the very least capture that moment in time. It's kind of cool to meld together writing and photography to narrate one's life. I've come to realize that this blog is my way of remembering what I do and who I am. Perhaps if I keep this up long enough it will be a way for me to remember the past as clear as it was back then.

So some MORE  thoughts about this past weekend. I watched a lot of tv and some movies. First off I FINALLY finished the season finale of 24. I thought it was a very fitting and proper ending to a pretty decent show. 24 has been action packed and unpredictable from the start, Kiefer Sutherland has done a wonderful job through and through as Jack Bauer. 

More recently I managed to set up my Wii (which I haven't had for along time) to stream some Netflix shows and videos straight onto my TV. To say the least I am EXTREMELY  to veg out on my sofa through the rest of my summer and all subsequent holidays at home. Have I ever told anyone that I am secretly in love with being an introvert. I can spend all day sitting in front of my TV doing nothing and feel like I've had a productive day.

Regardless my last few thoughts for the day come from the soon to be blockbuster movie of the summer INCEPTION  was absolutely mind bending ( actually it literally mind-fucked you) go to the link to learn more about the movie if you don't know already. I just have to say I have grown to respect Christopher Nolan even more as a director now after already witnessing slivers of genius in the Dark Knight and Memento. Behind the characters Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic), Ellen Page (Juno), and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (500 days of Summer) the movie twists and challenges your mind to grasp the reality of multi-layered dream world. You not only get the action packed thriller of Dark Knight in this movie but also the complexity and introspection of Memento in the interplay of dialogue and development of Cobbs (Dicaprio) and Ariadne (Page). Inception is not just your usual summer blockbuster, it makes you think, it makes you ponder, and most importantly it makes itself memorable with its perfect blend of CG effects, story telling, emotions, and action. Inception is a must see movie of this summer. 


Last thought of the day.... heading to college. Over the weekend I was talking to Catherine  and the topic of going off to college came around. It made me realize that I have just over a month left here in La Canada before I jump head first into murky waters of college. I have no idea what I am doing. I REPEAT I HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE as to what I am going to do. Does this bother me? A little. Should it scare me? Yes. Do i acknowledge it. NO. That's kind of how I've approached this idea of college. Let it come to me and see where it takes me. Putting expectations and eagerly dreaming up what I want to do I think at times is overkill. I don't think anyone can really go into college saying for a 100% sure they know what they want to do, who they want to be. I think college is the perfect time to LOSE YOURSELF (think of Eminem) before ya WRECK YOURSELF but really its finally MY time to do what I want. To wake up in the morning or not, to party hard on the weekends or not, to make friends, to eat alone, to do anything. I see college as an exciting new frontier in my life, one that will only happen once. I don't plan on wasting a minute of it all, but I also don't plan on putting any expectation on myself. So that way in about four years I can look back and say, wow, I did something! 


Til Another Time Another Place.

-Johnny 


No comments:

Post a Comment