Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Addled Brains

Its funny to think that I've recently embarked on a journey to record my daily thoughts, ponderings, and routines so that hopefully I can capture these memories in writing and photography that is a tool for me to remember all this in the future. But the more and more I write, I realize how much is left out of what is going on in my life.

But I can expand upon one short thing today, I'm in one of those deep introspective moods. Going off to college is something huge in my life, but for me its symbolic of something entirely different from what most people experience. Most people seem to gravitate toward the idea of moving out, living on your own, and being completely independent. I see it much in the same way, except I see it as leaving behind a past and realizing how much beauty there is there. The people that you meet along the way, the girl you fall in love with, the best friend that you grew up with, the first time for everythings.

What I realized talking to an old friend yesterday was that nothing is permanent in our lives. The only constant thing is ourselves. Our minds. Our hearts. Our souls. Our friends despite what we all promise to each other will most likely never have the same kind of bonds we have had throughout high school. The people that are so integral to our daily lives, our family, our support structure suddenly are only fringe details to our life. College is that great equalizer in my life. On one hand it gives me all the freedom and opportunity to finally just be me and do whatever suits me best. But on the other hand it denies me of my old way of life and the comfortability of what I now can finally fondly call home. One must realize life is about balancing the things you want and the things you must do. I've spent the last 8 years of my life growing up and learning about myself in La Canada. Some of my best friends come from this tiny little community in the foothills. Sean. Ben. Troy. Rasheed. Joao. Tadas. Jeff. Tia. Heather. Catherine. Nika Iman. Riley. Ameer. And more importantly some of the people I care most about will forever be emotionally attached to my childhood in the foothills of Pasadena and La Canada

It's funny to think the people I call best friends, dates, and lovers now are all going to eventually become childhood memories, high school sweethearts, and a distant memory in my life. It's almost sobering to realize that all things aren't permanent in our lives especially those around one of us, but in this lies the beauty of change. Thought we may struggle and fight against it, change keeps us going in life it keeps us on our toes and keeps us in the saddle ready to ride the next mountain and be able to look back and reminisce about the past.


'Til another inspiring momenet

-Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment